#LearnOutLoud… Stepping Into Leadership
"She is strong." - Isaiah 40:31
Today I’m sharing 5 top tips for stepping into leadership.
My friend Jen shared this with me recently and it was too good not to share.
Are you ready?
Got your notepad and pen ready? Voice app and the notes section of your phone?
Alright, let’s dig right in…
1) Don't wait to lead until you have a title or a team to lead. Assume the posture of a leader as soon as you decide you're going all the way. Decide to be a leader and own it. Let people know you aren't dabbling in your business. Show your network you are a leader by being consistent and committed. Become a student of your business and invest time into training and personal development. You are your own boss. Typically, everyone has access to all the same resources. If two people begin at the same time, and have access to the same resources, but only one makes progress… is the company to blame? Is the person who you joined in business to blame? I’m going to take a wager and guess the difference lies in the efforts of the individual. Own your success!
2) Be the business partner you want to have on your team. Imagine the perfect business partner and embody that. Remain positive even when it gets tough. Stay grounded and manage disappointment. Resilient optimism. Be coachable and trust the system. No need to reinvent the wheel. The secret is… that there’s no secret. Share your story, share the story of your company and products, offer the opportunity… then repeat. Our team/organization/tribe/business partners/peeps will duplicate what we do. If we are excited, they will be excited. If we are taking advantage of our companies training resources and incentive programs, they will do the same. If we want partners who are always positive, engaged, always growing and learning, and who are coachable, we must be those things as well. Use your resources wisely.
"She is valiant." - 2 Samuel 13:28
3) Do things before you are ready and do it scared. We are rarely ready for the roles we fulfill in life. Fear is the main reason consultants have failure to launch and never get their business off the ground. It's always scary to do something new for the first time. Challenging ourselves and staring fear in the face is where the magic happens. Doing things before you are ready will empower you to ask your team the same.
4) Make leadership visible. Our teams need to see us in action. Demonstrate income producing activity every single day. Leaders who show up, go up. Leaders are the ones who do the heavy lifting. Host and attend events regularly. Showing up doesn't necessarily mean attending events. It means showing up mentally every day even when you don't feel like it. Life is busy and sometimes hard. Show up because it allows you to stay at home with your kids when they are sick, fall asleep rocking your baby to sleep, or go to brunch with your husband. It can be done anywhere with WIFI, from vacation, soccer games, or the comfort of your couch. Share your brilliance. Share what's working for you and chances are it will help someone else.
"She is fearless." - Proverbs 31:25
5) Embrace the failures. Let your mistakes be lessons and become a student of this business. The path you are on is yours and yours alone. It will take you on a roller coaster of highs and lows but it's how your respond to them that makes you a leader. You will loose customers, business partners will join someone else, team members will go MIA. If you do anything long enough you will make mistakes, however I recognized early on that I needed the failures so I could grow to be a stronger leader. Your experiences can help someone in a similar situation. One failure doesn't make or break your business. Positive attitude toward failure and commitment to daily IPA leads to success. The only way to succeed is to dust yourself off and try again. Failures still sting. Fail forward. All leaders fail more times than most. In our failed experiences we gain the strength and wisdom is takes to succeed.
"She is enough." - Psalm 46:5
So there you have it… these are today’s top five tips for stepping into leadership.
Remember, friends... If you don't like with you do ask yourself why you are doing it? If what you're doing every day isn't drawing you closer to your true calling in life, ask yourself what you can do to change that.
I hope you found this helpful! If so, please like, comment, or share with those you feel may benefit from hearing this.
Until next time… Make Today Awesome!